With a paper-based exam, you would schedule into an available seat at one of the preset exam sessions. The exam is written in-person and invigilated by an onsite proctor. As described, the exam questions are provided in a paper format and your responses are marked on a bubbled answer sheet. Your exam is then shipped back to IFSE for marking and when your results are released, you can access your grades by logging into IFSE.
Exam Sessions During Pandemic
Seats for exam sessions are limited due to social distancing requirements and jurisdictional restrictions.
Below are the rules you must follow for in-person, paper-based exams:
- Don’t attend your exam session if you are feeling sick, tested positive for COVID-19, or have been asked to self-isolate by a health official
- Face masks / coverings are mandatory while testing
- Social distancing must be observed at the testing site (6 feet / 2 meters)
- Pencils and erasers are mandatory and will not be provided at the exam
- Only exam candidates are permitted in the exam session
- There are no washroom breaks during the exam
- Special accommodation requests must be made before the exam date
- You are required to sign a waiver at the exam session to proceed with your exam
With a paper-based exam, you will be required to attend a specified exam session in person and where the event is invigilated by a proctor. The exam is delivered in a paper format; that is, you will receive an exam booklet with test questions and an answer sheet where you are required to fill in your answers.
The individual webpages for each course provide information about their respective exam under the Exam Details section. For paper-based exams, the exam format will be paper.
The exam calendar for paper-based exams can be found by selecting the EXAM DATES box at the top of the website.
Check the course webpage to verify whether your exam format is paper-based. For all paper-based exams, you must register at least 10 calendar days prior to (and not including) the available exam date. To register:
- Login to IFSE.
- Select "Exams" from the submenu.
- Select "Register for Exam".
- Select a Location.
- Select an Exam Date.
- Review the Exam Terms and Conditions completely. To accept the Exam Terms and Conditions, check the box and select "Register" to proceed to Payment Screen. If you do not want to accept the Exam Terms and Conditions, select "Back". Your exam registration will be cancelled.
- Click "Process Payment" (even if the payment is $0) to ensure your exam is booked.
You must bring valid, non-expired government-issued photo identification, such as a passport, driver’s license or citizenship card. If you are unable to produce valid photo identification, you will not be allowed to sit your exam. Contact us prior to your exam date if you are unable to supply us with acceptable photo identification.
Bring at least one pencil, an eraser and a calculator to the exam. Supplies will not be provided at the exam centre. The calculator must not have printing capabilities. Cell phones and other electronic devices cannot be used as a calculator. Scrap paper for working out calculations will be provided. Note: Proctors cannot accept payment for outstanding course- or exam-related fees at the exam centre.
You may request a special exam sitting if there is no exam centre available near you or you require an accommodation.
- Special Exam Sitting: IFSE can set up a special exam for you at an agreed-upon location, date and time. We can also make arrangements for groups or international locations. The cost of a special exam sitting can be found here. It may take up to 15 calendar days to arrange a special exam sitting.
- Special Exam Accommodations/Accessibility: IFSE is committed to providing exam accommodations that are accessible for all individuals. It may take up to 30 calendar days to arrange a special exam accommodation.
Contact us for more information.
Yes, but you must do so 10 calendar days prior to (and not including) your examination date. It is your responsibility to ensure you are registered at the correct examination centre.
You may re-schedule to another available date at no cost if you re-schedule at least 10 calendar days prior to (and not including) your original examination date. A late exam re-scheduling fee will apply if you re-schedule within 10 calendar days of your original examination date. You must contact us for all late re-scheduling.
If you fail to appear at a scheduled examination, you will be charged a missed exam fee and you forfeit the exam attempt.
If you are scheduled to write an exam and you do not show up, you will be charged a missed exam fee and you forfeit that exam attempt and any fees that you have paid for that exam write.
If you fail an exam and need to attempt it again, this is considered a re-write. You will only be allowed to re-write if you are eligible for another attempt. You can follow the same process as registering for a paper-based exam. There is a fee to re-write a paper-based exam and you must register 10 calendar days prior to (and not including) your exam date. Click here for more information.
If you need to re-write your exam within 10 calendar days of an exam date, you must contact us to see whether your request can be accommodated. There is a fee for a late exam re-write. Click here for more information.